And other fabric goodness. So, yes, long time no post. Busy person is busy and so on and so forth.
But, summer is here now and I have (a little) more free time, especially since a number of events we might normally go to have been put on hiatus due to the SCA 50 Year event going on this month. We are not going because of work obligations, but the upside is this gives us about four free weekends to work on various projects that need doing.
So this weekend, we both did a bunch of various project work. The Hubs spent a considerable amount of time in the basement, working on pottery projects and did a glaze firing in the kiln on Sunday. He was able to deliver a commission of a blue bowl to his chiropractor today, in exchange for a couple of free adjustments.
There was also an assortment of mugs and cups in this load, as well as some other commissioned bowls. I like the way these striped ones turned out.
I spent most of Saturday upstairs in the sewing room, making some alterations to my various underdresses. having become a person of a certain stage in life (ahem) and also having done a push-up challenge a while ago AND doing yoga a couple of times a week pretty consistently for the last 18 months means that my upper arms have become a little more substantial than they used to be. This means that most of my more fitted underdresses had become a little snug in that area and required some adjustment.
The solution to this problem was to open the side seam from just below the bicep into the armpit area and insert a gusset of sorts. It took me a couple of tries to get the shape and size of the added piece right, but after some repeated cutting, sewing, and ripping out again (and maybe some swearing and only a little blood, none of which got on the clothes) I found the right form. It’s amazing how much the fabric of some of the dresses has faded! The dark green one is the worst, but you don’t really notice it unless there’s some less-faded fabric to compare, and I doubt I’ll be spending a lot of time waving my arms around so the gusset won’t really be that noticeable.
I also made an adjustment to my dragon-appliqued Norse apron dress, which also needed a little expansion around the upper opening. I added a small gore in the center back seam to give myself a little more room. In the process, I noticed the giant holes that were caused by attaching my brooches to the lightweight linen. So I decided to make an adjustment there as well by adding some small fabric loops at the top edge of the dress. This way I can put the pins through the loops instead of actually through the fabric and the weight of the brooches won’t drag holes in the fabric.
After that, I decided to take off the shoulder straps I’d originally made and replace them with longer loops as well. This is a method that has been documented in a number of Norse grave finds, where small bits of fabric are sometimes found still within the brooches. Again this seems like a sensible solution because it saves the fabric from being pierced over and over again and having heavy pins and strings of beads hanging from it.
While I was at it, I also used some fine crochet thread to make a thin lucet cord so I could restring the coiled bronze beads the Hubs acquired from Duke Eikbrandr a couple of years ago (I think when I originally made this dress). I’ve had them strung on a couple of strands of crochet thread since then because it was what I had on hand at the time, but that string finally wore through a couple of weeks ago. While restringing I also added a few small glass beads to the strand to set off the special twisted beads. This made the bronze strand a little longer than it used to be, so I need to make a third strand to go in between. Luckily, I have some beads on hand…
There! A post after a long absence. Luckily, there’s more to come, since I have other projects in the works – stay tuned!