Skip to content

Last Patches and Some Progress

September 16, 2014

Amalie AnnMarie and CeinwenThe final three patches (so far) that bring the Rose Cloak up to date.  There are a few more that we do not have heraldry for, but those may turn up at some point.  I painted these three while at an armoring day over the weekend – I was just along for the ride, so I managed to make productive use of my time!  With these, we’re even a little ahead of the game, since one of them is for the current Princess.  It’s been a lot of fun to do these – seeing all the different heraldry has been a real pleasure.

Finished EmbroideryI’ve also made quite a bit of progress on the St. Birgitta cap I’ve been working on for a while now.  I sorted out the pattern for the embroidery that joins the two halves of the cap, and I actually had that finished before Pennsic.  If I make another one of these, I might use the heavier weight linen thread for this to give the center embroidery a little more structure.  Right now, this fine linen tends to collapse on itself a little.

Embroidered BandI also started doing some embroidery on the strip that binds the edges of the cap and forms the loop that holds it on.  I had a simpler version of this done before Pennsic but then I decided when I started working on it again that I wanted to add more to it, so this is what it looks like now.

GathersI did cut the bottom corner of the front of the two pieces on a little bit of a curve as recommended by some other recreations.  This makes gathering the bottom a little easier – when you get to the front edge there isn’t a loose corner that has to be tacked in.  Gathering the bottom went pretty easily and I was able to get the fabric compressed nicely.  This picture almost makes it look like a little pair of bloomers!

Finished AssemblyFinally, I’ve been working on stitching the binding strip to the edge of the cap.  This covers the gap between the two halves at the center front and also hides the raw edges of the gathered section at the bottom.  Ultimately, I’ve got an opening of about an inch at the back that just allows enough space for me to stuff my hair up under the cap.  I still need to mark the ends of the edging strip and finish things by stitching them together to make a continuous loop, but the end is near!  I’ve tried the cap on a couple of times and it fits well and feels secure, at least by itself since I have yet to try it with my fillet or a veil on top.  This is my first-ever completely hand-sewn project.  I won’t say it’s become my new favorite thing to do and I probably still won’t be hand-sewing a major project like a dress, but it has been a pretty enjoyable project and I’m generally happy with the way it’s turned out so far.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: