I ended up ironing the detail bits onto the Heat-n-Bond yesterday evening and then spent a couple of hours cutting everything out while watching TV.
Today, interspersed with other essentials like making a pan of brownies and doing a little (very little) yard work, I got the details ironed onto the dress! I think it took about 3 hours, all told, having to be careful to get everything lined up correctly. I think it’s looking pretty good so far, though I still have to put a spot in his eye (red, I think) and the Hubs thinks he needs a nostril on his snout.
Now for the real work – stitching all around the raw edges. I’m going to try my local specialty embroidery shop tomorrow and see about getting a couple of skeins of black silk thread to do the edging with. I think that will look better than either crochet cotton or regular embroidery floss.