Weaving Done…And a New Challenge
The weaving for Grand Tournament is finished! I took it off the loom last night. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out, though I have a little bit of a mystery that I need to talk to some other card weavers about. I’ve done quite a bit of inkle weaving and I’ve never had a problem with the material tightening up too much on the loom. Both the green trim I just did and this project got to a point where I had to slip the warp off one of the pegs of the loom to loosen it up enough that I could slide it around when I needed more space to work. It seems like the card weaving just wants to tighten up a lot more than inkle weaving does for some reason. Maybe it’s the fact that there are so many warp threads? This project had 30 cards, so 120 warp threads. I can imagine that might cause it to really tighten up as the weaving progresses. At any rate, I wound up with about 8 feet, 8 inches of woven trim overall, not including the fringe at each end.
My new challenge is this: Over the last couple of events, I’ve lettered some scrolls for court but I used blanks that I already had and I haven’t made a complete scroll since Val Day back in February. I’m feeling out of practice and like I’m not doing as much as I could. I also feel like I have quite a bit of free time at home that too often I spend behind the computer and in front of the TV. So last week the little voice in my head made a suggestion and, for a change, I’m listening! My challenge to myself is to start making a scroll blank each week – doing the illumination so that I have my own work ready for court assignments. I’ve started already with some pencil work on a piece today, and I’ll post an image of each scroll as I get them finished. I’m feeling very excited about this new project and I’ll do my best to stick to it!