Skip to content

Pennsic Prep

July 20, 2012

I finally faced reality about a week ago and decided that I was not going to have time to get a new silk pennant done before Pennsic.  I kept thinking, “If I just get started tomorrow, I still have time to do it!”  But then I gave myself a metaphorical slap in the face and set a new goal of having it done for Fall Crown Tournament.  I have a design in mind and a motto I plan to incorporate, but that will be a project for after War.  I also have to make the Hubs come up with some kind of a design for his pennant, which is a whole other project in itself.

Aside from that, and finishing up the trailer rebuild, I have been working here and there on a few other things.  I didn’t have any major sewing in mind this year, but I have done a couple of things.

Way back at Christmastime, I cut out the pieces for a lightweight underdress from a dark green linen fabric.  Well, it’s been sitting around for the last six months and I finally got around to putting it together last week.  It still needs to be hemmed, but I’m letting it hang for a few days.  Plus, I have to find a good time for the Hubs to mark the hem for me!  Probably after I get the Norse apron dress finished to go over it (which will need the hem marked as well).  The apron is also lightweight and in the “Autumn Gold” color from fabrics-store.com.  I’m hoping to use some other lightweight linen to decorate the apron with dark red and blue stripes around the bottom, if I can mentally get my head around the way to cut the stripes properly on the curve needed to make them go the right way around!

At the end of last week, the Hubs asked me if there was any way I could maybe make him a couple of new pairs of breeches to go under his 12th century tunics.  I sorted through my fabric stash and found a couple of pieces of things that were big enough to make some things for him.  These are basically an extension of a pattern for simple braies – two large rectangles for the legs and a big square gusset in the crotch.  They’re pretty much full-length pants – long enough that he can cover the bottoms with his leg wraps and not worry about them coming loose.  I may make a third pair yet, depending on how things go over the next few days.

Today I started doing my Pennsic baking!  Every year I make some bar cookies to take along and share with our camp-mates.  The most I’ve ever done was 13 different kinds – one for each day of War.  The past couple of years I’ve eased back somewhat and now I only take 4-6 batches.  Today I made standard chocolate chip and oatmeal butterscotch bars.  After they cooled, I cut them froze them for about 45 minutes and then vacuum-packed them with a Foodsaver machine I bought on Craigslist a few years ago.  This was a great buy – vacuum sealing things works much better than trying to keep everything in zip-top bags in a cooler!  I’ll keep the cookies in the freezer until we pack to leave.  They won’t stay frozen the whole time we’re at War, but having them sealed keeps them fresh.

I also started marinating some beef strips that will be dehydrated and vacuum packed to take along and use for meals.  Got a new, in box, never used food dehydrator on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago – score!  Dehydrating will start tomorrow and maybe some more baking as well.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: