With Val Day approaching all too swiftly, I’ve put quite a bit of time into project progress this weekend with more to come tomorrow.
Friday, I started candying some orange peel for the A&S display – four oranges this time so there will be plenty to share. I simmered the peels twice Friday and twice today. Probably another two simmerings tomorrow before I start with the sugar water on Monday or Tuesday.
I also mostly finished one of the scrolls for court, but I don’t have a picture of it yet… This one took me a few tries because it’s fairly small and has a somewhat lengthy text, so I had to work out what line size and nib width would let me fit everything into the space I had.
Finally, I applied the resist to the silk pennant I’ve been commissioned to do. Since this one has a little bit of a complex design plus some text, I took a little bit of a different approach this time. In the morning, I outlined the main device and the text and then hung the piece up to dry. I’ve done a couple of pieces with text before, and it’s a little bit awkward to try to work in a way that means you’re not reaching over wet resist. Then, in the afternoon, I outlined all of the border of the piece and hung it back up to dry.
Today I also cut out pieces for two new lightweight linen underdresses – the hedge green and emerald green. I was just going to do the hedge, but figured I might as well cut the other one as well, since I had the pattern pieces laid out.
Tomorrow I’ll stretch the silk and start painting and also sew the underdresses together – something to do while the Super Bowl is on!