Well, my projects from the weekend are making some progress, although somewhat slowly.
This morning, I painted the color on my commissioned silk pennant and I’m pretty happy with the way it came out. The only thing I don’t really like is the streaky effect in a large area of color, but it’s hard to avoid that because the paint dries so quickly and I had to work around some smaller designs in the middle of the space. Some of it will even out when I wash it after pressing. Plus, I’m working very hard to be less critical of things like this that won’t really be visible when the piece is flying up in the air!
Yesterday, I simmered the orange and lemon peels twice more. After letting them sit overnight, I decided that 5 simmerings was enough for this time around and I’m moving on to the sugar step. Right now, the peels are sitting to dry on sheet pans on my stovetop where the warm air from the oven vent can blow on them. The original recipe says to “well dry them” and Dame Alys Katharine says she leaves them out for half a day or more. I expect they’ll sit and dry until tomorrow morning before I get to the sugaring. I may make a batch of sugar water tonight, just to have it ready for tomorrow.
I still plan (hope?) to make a batch of medieval gingerbread tonight for the A&S display at Wassail. We’ll see how that goes. I have long pepper that the recipe calls for, but no way to grind it right now, unless I try whacking it around in my food processor, which I have found is not the best at getting a fine, even grind. Either that or it’s a trip out to the store to see if I can pick up one of those small coffee grinders all the chefs say to use. More on that later…
Yesterday, I painted a base coat on most of the major areas of the Gothic letter notecard I started over the weekend. I’m more pleased with the way it looks today compared to when I did it yesterday. Now it just needs some touches of lighter colors and white and a final outlining in black to clean up the lines.
I’m also going to paint another one of my simple Celtic cards so I’ll have three to display on Saturday.
Yesterday we also got our Christmas tree! We ended up kind of channeling my Uncle Fritz, who routinely has purchased trees that are significantly too big for the houses he’s lived in. There are many stories of Uncle Fritz having to cut chunks off of trees to get them into the house and then somehow reassembling the tree in the living room! Ours isn’t quite that bad, but we did have to take off the very top sprig to stand it up, or it would have been bent over by the living room ceiling (which is just under 10′ high!). We’ll give the tree a day or two to relax before we decorate it.