Wow, I can’t believe it’s been over a month since I posted last! The time sure has gone quickly in the last few weeks. I know I haven’t been posting my books or baking or anything. I’ll blame it on work and the SCA – busy, busy, busy!
I finished that last Thursday evening and then the little voice in my head said, “You know, you’ve got two weeks before Crown Tournament. You could probably make one of these to give as a gift to the Queen at the procession of combatants.” Cue evil laughter here. My little voice does bad things to me sometimes.
So I started doing a new piece at Cynnabar’s Fiber Faire event on Saturday and have made good progress so far. I’m doing the same pattern as the first piece from Pennsic, but using red and green as the main colors for the Midrealm! I need to go to the craft store and pick up some more of the red thread before I can finish it. Luckily, there’s enough white, green and yellow to stitch before I really need more red.
Last night, I was also thinking of making more of these for friends as 12th Night gifts (See how early I’m starting this year? It’s only October!). So I was looking at some of the other patterns I’ve found online and saw this piece posted at the Medieval Arts & Crafts blog. While I like the pattern given here and will probably use it, I was also looking at the original work the author posted as the source. I noticed that the pattern on this sheet corresponds to the figure on the right of the original piece, but I couldn’t find a pattern for the figure on the left. I studied the more complex pattern and found that there was a part of it that was similar to the design on the left, but it was flipped diagonally. Using my handy Excel spreadsheet grid, I spent some time working out the pattern and managed to sort it out after a little bit of mental wrangling. Being not particularly good at those types of spatial relationship puzzles, it took me a little while to visualize how the stitches needed to be set to make the pattern right, but I got it! Brickwork Spiral – once again, the stitches go over 6, 4 or 2 threads. I’m really inordinately pleased with myself for figuring this out. 🙂