Brickwork Project #1 Finished!
So once again, I am loving this new technique I picked up at Pennsic! I’m a pattern-lover at heart and doing something like this just gives me that satisfied feeling as I see the design developing.
Since I finished stitching the pattern over the weekend, I took a little time yesterday to finish the piece as a whole. I took some scrap linen and made a lining for it and sewed it on, wrong sides together. I left part of one short end open to turn the piece right side out. I also stitched in a little piece of the braid I had made to form the loop to close the needle book. Then, I trimmed the corners to reduce bulk inside the piece once it was turned.
I also planned to put a layer of cotton quilt batting inside the piece, but decided to just slip that in once I had turned it, rather than trying to stitch it in place. Here is the turned piece – you can see the unstitched opening at the end. At first, I made the quilt batting large enough that it covered the whole interior of the piece. However, with the added bulk of the seam allowance, I thought it made the piece too bulky around the edges. I trimmed down the batting so it was just big enough to fit inside the seam allowances inside the piece.
Finally, I tucked in the edges of the opening and hand-stitched it to close. Then, I sewed on a small wooden bead as a button that the braided loop would slip over, and it’s done! My first brick stitch embroidery project!