Skip to content

Brickstitch Beginning

August 22, 2011

I finished stitching the small piece of brickwork embroidery I started at my Pennsic class over the weekend.  Then, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how I wanted to finish it.  My plan was for a needle book to carry my spare needles, but did I want it slightly padded?  Did I want more than just the two “pages” of the front and back?  How was I going to line the piece?  Did I want a book or a roll?  What kind of closure did I want to use?

Ultimately, I have decided to put a single layer of cotton quilt batting inside the book, covered by a linen lining.  I have lots of scraps of linen left over from sewing projects, so this will be a good way to use some of them up.  The quilt batting will give the needles something to bite into without going through the embroidered layer and poking outside, which would defeat the whole purpose of the piece!  I also braided a little cord of crochet cotton to make a loop that will go over a wooden bead or small button on the outside to keep the book closed.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: