Today I worked some more on my new cotehardie and the Hubs’s tunic.
Last night, I decided that the cote needed a little more fitting – a pinch at the shoulder seams and one of the arms needed to have the ease shifted slightly forward. So I took out the neck facing as far back as the shoulder seams and adjusted those and then decided to let go of the compulsion for the evening.
I did get the undertunic for the Hubs finished to the point that the sleeves and hem could be finished, so I made him put it on so I could mark the hem.
This morning, I reattached the neck facing on my cote and adjusted the one sleeve. Now I think I’m satisfied with it! I still need to run a topstitch around the very edge of the neck and the front opening – this is not a historical practice, but I think it gives the garment a more finished look and helps prevent the facings from shifting and looking sloppy. I’ll put it on later and have the Hubs take a picture. I’ll also have to try to convince him to mark the hem for me, but this is a chore he hates. Still, it needs to be done…
I finished hemming the bottom and sleeves of the Hubs’s tunic, so all that’s left there is to tack down the neck facing. I always do this by hand, though it’s a little bit of a chore and one of the few hand sewing tasks I will undertake! Hand sewing it allows me to make little adjustments to the position of the neck as needed to keep things looking neat.
This afternoon, I also started making the lacing cord for my cotehardie. I’m using a method called lucet cord, which is a form of knotted cord made on a two-pronged forklike device. There are carved wooden lucets you can use for this purpose, which is what I have, but you can use any two-pronged object, even a couple of pencils taped together at the appropriate angle.
My friend Brigitta, who is a whiz at all things fiber, refreshed my memory as to how to do lucet cord last week and I also did some looking online and found this nice simple tutorial on YouTube – How to Lucet. There are lots of variations on lucet you can do, including multiple colors and patterns. The Hubs has done some two-color lucet cord, but I’ve just done single color, which is what I’m doing for this project. I’m using a 5/2 Pearl cotton that I got from Halcyon Yarn in dark brown. This is also what I’m going to use to make a belt for the Brown Bliaut (also on the project queue). I managed to do about 6 inches in half an hour, so it should go pretty smoothly. I only need about 24″ for a dress lacing, and then I’ll finish it with a metal point to make threading easier. I’m going to do the lacing holes with a gold-colored heavy duty thread for contrast.